World Multiple Sclerosis Day
World Multiple Sclerosis Day is on May 27, 2015 and it is the only global awareness raising campaign for Multiple Sclerosis, the world over.
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a disease of the Central Nervous System, affecting its functioning unexpectedly and repeatedly , resulting in devastating disabilities in young people in the prime of their lives. It is also known as the Crippler of the Young Adult.
Multiple Sclerosis has various symptoms ranging from minor visual disturbance to total paralysis, due to which simplest everyday tasks can no longer be efficiently performed.
The Chennai Chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of India in keeping up with the theme of this year which is “Together We’re Stronger than MS” had “HUMAN CHAIN” at the offices of DLF IT Park, Ramapuram, Chennai – 600 089 between 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm. About 400 – 500 employees of the IT Park participated in this “HUMAN CHAIN”creating awareness of MS and that the disease can be conquered. Mr. S.V. Sekhar, prominent dramatist and politician was chief guest.
The World MS Day campaign aims to raise awareness of four key messages in order to improve public knowledge and awareness of MS:
- There is no known CAUSE or CURE for Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
- MS is usually diagnosed between the ages of 25 and 31 and lasts a lifetime – KNOWN AS THE “Crippler of the Young Adult”
- MS symptoms vary from person and to person. This makes life with MS unpredictable.
- Medicines only stem the progression of the disease.
- Treatments and services are improving for people with MS, but not for everyone, everywhere. The costs of treatment is prohibitive
Together we are stronger than MS” and spread awareness of the Disease.
World MS Day is also highlighted by the colour “ORANGE”. Many buildings have light up their buildings in orange to create about Awareness about MS.
The following buildings lighted up on the evening of May 27, 2014.
- Corporation Building – Ripon Buildings, Chennai – 600 003.
- Inspector General of Police, Beach, Dr. RadhakrishnanSalai, Chennai – 600 004.
- Acropolis – ARR Foundations, Ground Floor, 148, Dr. RadhakrishnanSalai, Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.
- Ispahani Centre – Nungambakkam High Road, Chennai – 600 034.
- I.T Campus – Beside AdyarCancer Institute, opp. C.L.R.I, Sardar Patel Rd, Adyar, Chennai, 600036
- Rajan Dental Care – #56, Dr. Radha Krishnan Salai, Near Chennai City Centre.
- Bergamo – Kadar Nawaz Khan Raod, Nungambakkam, Chennai – 600 034.
- Mercheri Centre – Eldams Road, Teynampet, Chennai – 600 018.
- “Sunnyside” (BOSCH) – No.8/17, Shafee Mohammed Road, Next to Apollo Children’ Hospital, Chennai – 600 006.
- Gatsby –Neelangarai, Chennai 600042
Radio Stations interviewed eminent Neurologists, who given talks, in English and Tamil, on their Radio Stations, thereby creating the awareness of the disease.